Credit cards for poor credit
When applying for credit, the lending party normally assesses your history to establish your credit score. This may involve reviewing your credit score with information obtained from a credit reference agency. At times, you may receive credit and fail to meet your credit obligations. It may render you not creditworthy in various financial and lending institutions. Your credit scores may fall lower than the expected minimum score such that you get disqualified with credit facilities. When this happens, you don’t need to worry as much. You can still pursue other avenues for obtaining credit. One viable way is through credit cards for poor credit. This article will highlight how you can utilize such channels when you have a poor credit score.
What Are Credit Cards for Poor Credit?
As the name suggests, these are credit cards that you may obtain even your credit status is wanting. It is an avenue that’s opened for those people who due to various factors have a bad credit score. These factors range from income disparities, an unconducive employment status or possibly if you’re a visitor to the UK. Again, it could be because you don’t have a borrowing history or you are just poor in managing credit.
How They Work
Credit cards for poor credit rating are geared to help you manage your credit better. They provide an opportunity for you to rebuild your credit rating positively. Even so, they are issued out on stringent terms. You will go through the regular application, but it will be scrutinized further. You may not enjoy it as much as your credit is curtailed to a certain limit which is usually lower than what the mainstream cards offer. Again, they tend to have a high Annual Percentage Rate (APR) since you are a high-risk customer to the lenders. As compared to the mainstream credit cards, they don’t come with many perks. But in all respects, they may have some utility for you if you really needed credit.
Their payment terms are generally flexible considering that you are in poor credit; thus, they are an excellent avenue for those who want to build their credit positively.
Typically, majority of them offer up to 56 days of interest-free borrowing. This gives you an opportunity to avoid other types of credit that are of short-term nature such as payday loans.
- They can help you redeem a good credit status. This applies in instances where you have a poor credit cards management history. By paying the credit promptly, you’ll have a chance to rebuild your credit rating.
- Are Convenient for Struggling Borrowers. Financial crises may hit even the best of us. If you are really struggling, but you demonstrate that you are capable of repaying the credit, your application may be accepted. It also applies to those who don’t have a credit history, for example, students. They may start building their credit ratings with credit cards for bad credit.
- They offer some level of protection. When making purchases, the liability is shared between the card provider and the seller. This gives you some protection when things don’t go as planned. You can obtain refunds from either the seller or the card provider in case of the unplanned eventuality.
- High APR’s. When obtaining poor credit cards, you are usually considered a high-risk borrower. This leaves the lender no choice but to charge a high APR to mitigate this risk. You could be looking at APR’s of 25% to 50%. Mainstream cards charge up to a maximum of 19% APR.
- Low Credit Limits. Even when you are successful in obtaining such a card, you will be bound by the low credit limits. Again, this is tied to you being a risky customer.
At Bonsai finance, we understand the plight of those who score poorly in credit. We always hold the opinion that you shouldn’t be condemned, but be given an avenue for you to redeem yourself. Reach out to us if you need some sound advice on choosing the best credit cards for poor credit when your credit card score isn’t below minimum levels. Our financial experts are well-versed with these cards; thus, you are best placed to receive some timely advice on the same.